Wednesday, November 25, 2015

My Bellybutton


I got my bellybutton today. Or rather, it was unveiled.

There was no official celebration, but Mommy and Daddy seemed pretty happy about it. They think it’s cute, but to be honest, at first—it was kind of gross.

When I say it was “unveiled,” I’m taking liberties with the word. A more accurate way of describing it would be that my bellybutton was “un-scabbed.” In other words, the last little bit of the umbilical cord came off.
 
Yeah, yeah. I know. Very gross. But bear with me. I have a few thoughts about bellybuttons.

It’s interesting to me that something so gross can so quickly become so cute. I mean, one minute I’ve got this thing that makes Mommy and Daddy grimace when they’re dressing me. The next minute, I’ve got this cute little divot, that sort of resembles the tied-off end of a water balloon. And it makes Mommy and Daddy sigh in adoration. Interesting.

From what I understand, my bellybutton will mainly be serving the same purpose as the lint trap in a clothes dryer. But I think it will also remind me that there was once a literal connection between my Mommy and me. It’s the little mark that will help me to never forget that Mommy gave so much of her own life for me. With that in mind, it seems like there would be a more appropriate name for it, like “Mommy Mole.”

I know the question that’s on your mind. Is it an “innie” or an “outie”?

Hard to tell, just yet. Either way, it’s pretty cute.

Just like my Mommy.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post. And welcome, Genesis! I've never met you, but it makes me happy to know that you're in the world. Your mommy and daddy are very blessed.

    ReplyDelete